Pages

Friday, February 19, 2010

Living In A Material World



Since last fall we've had a lot of fun putting together my daughter's new jazz dance routine. I'm not a massive Madonna fan by any means but "Material Girl" has always been my favorite song of hers, at least in my head. I'd remember the video and the bits I thought were cool. Then I'd play it and remember that the beginning was too slow, there was entirely too many "dilly-o's" and her girlish squealing got really irritating. That and then the song just seemed to go on forever.

Fortunately, in my role as creative music editor, I had the opportunity and the tools to turn all this around for my daughter's dance routine. After being veiled in secrecy for a while, I'm now pleased to introduce you to my own remix. After initially going bonkers and throwing in beeping price scanners, ringing cash registers, and popping camera lightbulbs, I scaled it back a tad and produced what I call the "Megabucks" edit. For a start, it's under three minutes long, as required for competition entries. Then, I took my favorite bit and put it at the beginning, mixed in just enough effects to complement the music and gave it a proper ending. Oh, and that is my voice over an imaginary store intercom.

You can probably tell we invested quite a bit in the costume design and in putting the props together. It all came together very nicely.

Madonna - Material Girl (Megabucks Edit)

I now have a website I created to advertise my custom music projects. It's at www.customdancemusic.com

No comments: