Pages

Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Meg & Dia, Red Umbrella, Quiet KY


Meg & Dia - Here, Here And Here (2009)

I bought it because it was a recent release. I expected something maybe like the Indigo Girls or maybe Tegan & Sara.

The Verdict: This album rocks, hard.Surprisingly accessible and melodic. The only downside was that after four or five similar tracks I was out of breath. I was expecting a change of pace but there wasn't one (at least on what I heard). But good driving music.

Rating:   9/15




Red Umbrella - Wishing For Boardwalk (2006)

Another one where I liked the cover and artwork. No expectations.

The Verdict: I had put this on before and remembered that I liked it. The first track is a good, surging pop song. The next couple of tracks just drifted off a little for me. Not sure on this, might be a grower.

Rating:   7/15







Quiet, KY - Two Blue Ruins (200?)

I liked the quirky art. Self-released, so no idea what this might be like.

The Verdict: A winner all the way! Excellent, accessible acoustic settings. If this was by a major band on a major label these songs would be on all those acoustic compilations with Radiohead, Magnet, Nick Drake and Badly Drawn Boy. A gentle, delicate, warmly sung pleasure. Very, very good indeed.

            Rating:   14/15
                                                       www.myspace.com/quietky

Worthy Download:   The whole Two Blue Ruins album! But not apparently available anywhere right now. Try "Florentina" or "Mr. Welles" to get a taste.

No comments: